Sunday, May 24, 2009

Homestays

When finding out that we would be doing home stays while in Indonesia I was nervous more than anything. Would I be able to communicate with them? Would it be awkward? Would they like me? However, as we spent more and more time in Indonesia I was excited more than anything to meet my family and become more immersed in the Indonesian culture. Meghan and I are living with our amazing ebu Lena, her husband, and two sons. Maybe we don't have servants like some of the other home stays but I feel as if we are receiving the most authentic and hands on home stay of the bunch. She immediately told us that we were part of her family now and that she was like our mom and we could come to her with anything. She has a huge heart and is always making sure that everything is going okay with us. I can tell she even practices her English when we are away during the day. She is also a talented cook who combines both Chinese and Indonesian recipes to create her own delicatessen. She never seizes to amaze us with her cooking. However, it has become a double edged sword for she keeps giving us more and more servings saying "again again" until we have to unbutton our pants. You know you're living the good life when the only thing to complain about is having to much great food.

-Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment