Sunday, May 24, 2009

Who needs a hotel anyway?

Hello! This week, I have been staying in a homestay with another GIEU member. At first, I was a bit nervous about everything. I hoped that I would say and do the right things and develop a bond with my family. After three days, I am very glad I was placed with Agung and Bu Wiwi. Last night/this morning were especially meaningful. Last night, we (Me, Sarah, Bu WiWi, Agung, their son and a servant) all went to the middle of the city and ate a traditional Javanese dinner outside of the palace. We sat on mats with other families and ate some of the best Indonesian dishes I have thus tasted. While eating, a four piece band played for us, taking requests and also playing Traditional Indonesian songs. The night ended with sweet teas and a performance by a traditional Indonesian Shadow-Puppet show. I came home tired but feeling overjoyed at what I had just experienced. The next morning, Sarah and I got up at 5:30AM and traveled with Ba WiWi to the daily market. What greeted us put all the farmers markets I have visited to shame! Most (if not all) of the food was picked or prepared that morning, often coming from wild sources! Talk about local food. The people at the market were warm and greeted me as if I came there everyday. Along the way, Ba WiWi explained the different tastes and uses of various fruits/vegetables, as well as some of the interesting dishes prepared around the market. That morning, we had fresh juice from Jackfruit bought at the market moments earlier. What a treat.

I am so lucky to be here in Indonesia. Not only am I growing close to 14 fellow students, I am forming a deep bond with Indonesia and the wonderful people that I encounter.

Best,

Stephen

3 comments: