Saturday, June 13, 2009

I have been home for two days now and have had time to get some sleep after 34 hours of travel time, eat some american food, and share stories with my family and friends. When it came time to leave bali on wednesday evening, I was feeling a mix of emotions. I was happy to be returning home to my family, anxious about my upcoming long journey home, and nostalgic about my time there (wishing it didn't have to end). On my trip home, I was given a plethora of time to reflect on my experiences there and how much I have gained from this trip. I thought about the Balinese and Javanese cultures, how the were so different yet shared unity. The food also came to mind often, especially after finishing up the trip with lunch at Sari Organik. My homestay families and the several other local people I met throughout the trip came to mind, and I realized how thankful I was to have met them. In between recurring thoughts of this paradise, I also remebered the various situations/challenges I encountered and how they made the trip even more enriching as it required adaptation and flexibility on a multitude of levels. I never expected to experience a culture so different than my own, let alone many cultures as the islands of Indonesia are so diverse. I am so grateful for all that I have gained from spending time in such a beautiful, dynamic country.

Terima Kasih, Indonesia!

-Meghan

1 comment:

  1. This Ashley Elander's Mother. Do you have Prof. Augustini's email and phone #? Ashley got ill and was in the hospital and we are looking for more info. glad you had a great time.

    Thanks Lisa.
    269 599 7476 cell

    ReplyDelete