Saturday, June 6, 2009

Just a whole lot of sentimental nonsense.

I could talk about the neat temple we saw today, which was carved into this massive wall. I could talk about the expressive and amazing barong dance we watched before. There's eating lunch next to an active volcano and massive lake, not to mention a cacao and spice plantation. Yeah, those are all interesting things that I'd love to talk about, but I guess I want my last scheduled post on this blog to be a little more meaningful.

Today is the 6th; I go to the airport on the night of the 10th. That's less than four days away, four days before I leave this incredible island -- Bali. I've learned so much about this island's cultures and traditions, yet I feel like I've only seen the tip of the iceberg. For every one thing I learn, a million more questions seem to arise. Being on Bali not only makes me want to immerse myself in the Balinese culture, but also learn what I don't know about my Indian heritage. (There are so many similarities and differences... ahhh!) Learning about a culture so thoroughly steeped in art and music makes me want to go back my Indian dance lessons and learn more about it. I don't know.

Indonesia isn't a perfect country: there is poverty and customs that seem backwards in the United States (particularly with women's issues). Still, the country has made a place in my heart and I know I will come back, one day. The GIEU trip has exposed us to only a fraction of the hard-working, innovative NGOs that exist in Indonesia -- NGOs that have figured out how to work around or work with the government. Ideally, with a little more language under my belt, I'd like to come back and work with an NGO here or really learn Balinese dance or .... Oh, I can go on forever.

Our month here is nearly over -- this explains why this post is me bein' sentimental. At the same time, I can't wait to take what I've learned here and share it with those back at home, to educated them. I can't wait to see how I've changed -- changes that I may not see until six months down the line. All I can really say is that this trip has solidified my interest in working abroad!

Terima kasih (Indonesian), matur suksama (Balinese), and thank you, Indonesia!

cringing at my mushiness,
Nina

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I’m searching for this information for long time and I have found it here. I’m a lucky man and honestly It’ really important to me. Very smart, thanks for kindly sharing it with us. Very well done indeed. If you do not mind, please visit my article related to pandeglang district in Banten, Indonesia at Kenali dan Kunjungi Objek Wisata di Pandeglang or Kenali dan Kunjungi Objek Wisata di Pandeglang and information about district Banten Indonesia Banten dan Kabupaten Pandeglang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Browse and search your Scholarships Update and get your Free wallpapers support the contest at Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa and then Oes Tsetnoc also the second one at Oes Tsetnoc And find your home cari rumah find your home again rumah dijual and again at jual rumah, thank you in advance, really appreaciate it.

    ReplyDelete