Monday, June 1, 2009

Moving Forward

Going abroad has to be one of the most fulfilling things I can possibly imagine. Being here in Indonesia has been such a treat, an experience to remember for sure! There have been lots of busy moments (working in rice fields), slow moments (waiting for the regent), horrible moments (bus ride to Bali), and not to mention lots of reflection time.

I value reflection time the most, the time when I get to rethink life and what I want to make of it. Recently, I have been so inspired by the people here (this culture), that I really want to know more about my own. This goes deeper than looking up my family tree, or reading books about African American heritage (although, it wouldn't hurt), but traveling to the Motherland, Africa. There was a question that was repeatedly asked during our time here in Indonesia which was, "What country do you plan to visit next?" Before, I was quick to answer Japan because I speak the language, but now, I see differently. Religion and history is such a big deal here in Indonesia, just as it is a big deal to me and I want to feel a relation. Its almost as if going back to the Mortherland is the only way I can go forward and help other people, I need to help myself before I help others.

Just a thought,
Avery C.

No comments:

Post a Comment